Department of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
The primary objective of EDI is to prepare LBCC’s students, staff, faculty and managers—as well as the communities in which we live—for an increasingly diverse society and workforce. Central to the EDI are the skills, abilities, development, and recognition that—to succeed in today’s world—individuals need to become more fluent across cultures. Also critical is the ability to competently weave in and out of cultures—be they home, academic, cultural or professional.
The EDI leads and facilitates a broad scope of the work occurring at LBCC and in the broader community, as well as recommending how and where the work gets done. The effort to bring diversity, cultural fluency and richness—in addition to inclusion and equity—to the fore at LBCC is vital, given how globally diverse the region is becoming.
Demographic shifts and technology have shrunk the world and are increasing the demand for culturally fluent individuals in the workforce, on campus, and in the classroom. This work—encapsulated by equity, diversity and inclusion—means that everyone has a stake in fostering a learning/work environment where everyone is challenged to become more globally prepared.
As the department name implies, EDI’s three primary areas of focus are:
• Equity: Completion for all students is an institutional strategic goal.
• Diversity: Everyone brings uniqueness with them to LBCC.
• Inclusion: It is one of LBCC’s five values.
- Students: As an extension of the EDI department, the Diversity Achievement Center is an anchor for students to connect, participate and learn.
- Staff: The EDI supports LBCC’s staff by providing professional development opportunities for better outcomes.
- Faculty: In an effort to support our faculty, the EDI offers co-curricular learning to complement classroom excellence.
- Management: Together, structural issues are addressed to improve cultural richness and equity outcomes.
- Community: The EDI engages the community to bring cohesion and unity around issues of inclusion.
Linn-Benton Community College recognizes and affirms difference and variety as integral to an inclusive representation of humanity and the educational community. To thrive as an academic institution, LBCC fosters a learning and working environment that encourages multiple perspectives and the free exchange of ideas. Linn-Benton Community College values diverse teaching and learning viewpoints among our faculty, staff and students to promote academic excellence and a healthy work environment. LBCC expects all those who work, study, or teach at the college to be committed to the principles which are an essential part of our focus, goals, and mission.
Contact the EDI and DAC at:
Linn-Benton Community College
Dept. of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
6500 Pacific Blvd. SW
Albany, OR 97321
E-mail the director at: firstname.lastname@example.org