Diversity Achievement Center
The Diversity Achievement Center is a welcoming, safe, inclusive and culturally respectful place for learning, meeting, study and social activity. All students and members of the campus community are welcome to attend events, engage in activities and learn about diversity, inclusion and unity. Our focus is to enhance the LBCC experience and embrace difference while empowering people to challenge themselves to learn and appreciate uniqueness. In this way we can all contribute to a more diverse, socially just and inclusive world. We recognize that each community member contributes to diversity in the fullest context.
Students, staff and community members are invited to use the DAC's services to enhance their educational and developmental goals by learning about varying perspectives and using critical thought, as well as gaining knowledge of the college’s support services and community resources. The DAC is a mosaic of cultures, genders, generations, races and life experiences, with varying abilities and identities. We recognize that diversity is fluid and how it is manifested in a rapidly changing world.
Why we're here:
- Provide a safe space and programs where cross-cultural learning occurs around issues of diversity, inclusion, unity and social justice.
- Offer opportunities for skill development, coaching, mentorship and empowerment that enhance capacity for self-advocacy in a diverse world.
- Supply accurate information, support and education regarding academic and career choices.
- Make available professional development opportunities for students and staff through constructive and critical dialogue to enhance cultural fluency and competence.
Services we provide:
- Personalized assistance with the college experience and accessing LBCC and its available resources.
- Professional development for students and staff centered on cultural fluency, cultural competence, and development of confident interpersonal communication skills around diversity issues.
- Referrals to community resources and other college departments.
We host and sponsor many activities, programs and workshops for students, staff and community that celebrate LBCC’s rich diversity. The DAC offers student employment through the Federal Work-Study program and in the form of tuition reimbursement. Applications are available in the DAC.
|We're located on the 2nd Floor of the Forum, directly above the Student Union, next to The Commuter office. Look for the window graphic!